APEPDCL of Visakhapatnam is the most progressive power distribution utility in India with country’s lowest AT&C losses of less than 6% now. They could achieve this with sustained focus on improving meter-to-cash and customer care processes aided by software and services support from Fluentgrid, apart from investments on electrical network infrastructure to control technical losses.
APEPDCL serves over 5.5 million consumers across five districts of the state of Andhra Pradesh spanning about 42,000 sq km, 20 million population, 700 sub-stations, 3000 feeders, 150,000 DTRs and 120,000 KM of power lines.
- Lack of centralized commercial database as entire metering and billing processes were outsourced to multiple vendors with their own software
- High technical and commercial losses arising from unaccounted and unmetered consumers and rampant power theft
- Not much of focus on customer care processes as staff attrition was high due to manual reporting needs
- Data from all the vendors was aggregated and analysed to detect anomalies using CAT database
Consumer and asset indexing for further data cleansing and creation of master database including mapping
- CIS, CRM and Insight products from mPower suite have been deployed in a centralized data center with visibility through executive dashboards
- Many pioneering solutions including pole-to-pole survey, spot billing, mobile customer care, single window customer service, centralized call center, etc.,
- Outsourced call center and customer service centers across the utility territory
- Aggregate Technical & Commercial (AT&C) losses came down from about 9% in FY2008. when mPower CIS was rolled out, to 6.22% by FY2015; a saving of about Rs1.9 Bn for FY2015 alone, when compared to FY2008 loss levels. FY2016 losses were further down to about 5.5%.
- New service connection release duration brought down to 48 hours, from a few weeks initially
- More than 95% consumer complaints resolved as per SLA
- Improvements in billing and collection efficiency to about 96% and 98% respectively